This fun giraffe craft is a lovely way to teach children to be a peacemaker. Giraffes are known to be very peaceful animals that only fight in self defense. It has the Scripture text Hebrews 12:14,
"Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord."
It was designed for use with the Mary Slessor missionary story, a large part of Mary's work in Calabar was in keeping the peace. Mary Slessor sought to help men and women find peace, not just with each other, but to know peace with God through Salvation. It also works well with one of the Beatitudes, Matthew 5:9 KJV,
"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."
NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN UNDER 3 YEARS DUE TO CHOKING HAZZARD
The FREE templates can be printed by clicking below:
The giraffe head template has 5 giraffe heads per sheet- click here.
The giraffe body wrap has 3 body wraps per sheet - click here.
You will require one printed giraffe head template and one body template per child. 160gsm light card fits well through most inkjet printers. You will also require scissors, a 7cm length of cardboard tube (like a kitchen roll), a large wooden lolly stick, four wooden clothes pegs and double sided tape.
- Print the two template sheets and carefully cut out the head and body parts.
- If you are making this for a group of children you can prepare in advance by sticking double sided tape to the bottom third of the lolly stick. I used the padded double sided roll tape as it is extra sticky. You can also stick a length of regular double sided tape to each short end of the body wrap template, and some double sided tape to the back of the giraffe head. The children just need to colour, and as they start to assemble the giraffe they just have to peel the top of the double sided tapes.
- Once the children have coloured the body wrap template, it can be stuck to the cardboard tube.
- Attach the lolly stick to the inside front side of the tube to create a neck.
- Stick the giraffe head to the top of the lolly stick.
- Finally clip on the four pegs to create legs. They need to be level to stand.